Do I have to write complicated sentences to get a band 7 in writing?


Are complicated sentences a requirement for a band 7?


The short answer to that question would be no. There is nothing in the band descriptors that says sentences should be complicated. You have to write using a variety of complex structures. The term 'complex structures' seems to confuse people. There is nothing complicated about complex structures. Complex structures are sentences made up of 2 clauses, a dependent clause, and an independent clause.

Many candidate can't get a band 7 for GRA because they attempt to write very complicated sentences and they make too many mistakes while doing so. This limits GRA to a band 6 maximum. Most candidates can overcome this limitation just by understanding what complex structures are, and using a variety of the 3 types.

The official band descriptors


What are clauses, dependent clauses, and independent clauses?


Clauses 


A clause is a subject and a verb. Example: I (subject) went (verb) to the shop (complement).

Dependent clauses


A dependent clause is a clause that has no meaning by itself. In order for these clauses to make sense, they need an independent clause. Take a look at the examples below.


  • If I study hard,
  • When I woke up in the morning,
  • Because I wanted to buy some milk
  • Although the weather was hot,
  • who he saw yesterday.


Independent clauses


Independent clauses are complete in meaning and don't need another clause to complete them. In fact, they can be used to complete an independent clause. Take a look at the examples below:


  • I will pass the exam.
  • I had my breakfast.
  • I went to the shop.
  • I was wearing a jacket.
  • John played with the girl.


Complex structures


We can make a complex structure by combining a dependent clause and an independent clause. Take a look at the examples below.


  • If I study hard (dependent clause), I will pass the exam (independent clause).
  • When I woke up in the morning(dependent clause), I had my breakfast (independent clause).
  • Because I wanted to buy some milk(dependent clause), I went to the shop (independent clause).
  • Although the weather was hot(dependent clause), I was wearing a jacket (independent clause).
  • John played with the girl (independent clause) who he saw yesterday(dependent clause).


There are 3 types of complex structures

1) adverbial clauses
2 noun clauses
3) relative clauses

These three types of structures will be dealt with in future posts god-willing.



For corrections or 1-2-1 online tuition click here


No comments

Post a Comment

© IELTS Writing Prep
Maira Gall